March 16, 2011

Day 19

Yesterday evening I invited Mr.S. to join me for dinner, as it would probably be the last one in Gitarama, but with some excuse I didn’t understand he didn’t accept the invite. Doesn’t seem like he’s sad for me to leave, or maybe he expected me to marry him and live happily ever after and came the news to him as a shock. Who knows.

Journalists
When I was working on my laptop from the bar when the electricity was cut off, I met a young guy named Clement (26). He spoke French and English and addressed me politely. Apparently he was a friend of a Belgian guy I met up with in terms of my visit to Rwanda. Small world, or better, small town. I invited him for drinks and we met up in the evening after my lonesome dinner.

In Club Orion they all know him as the DJ, but in fact he’s studying Communication in Gitarama at the University’s Department of Journalism & Communication. His friend and fellow student Aston (named after the car I guess) joined us as well and we connected very well. He’s studying Journalism and got all excited when I talked about my mission here in Rwanda. We exchanged contactdetails and will definitely be in touch. Aston was already eager to set up a small business or project in which we could ease the road for future students.

Headache
As if someone had just knocked my head full speed to the wall, I got a massive headache. Remind me never ever to drink cheap white wine ashushe ever again! Still trying to talk trough a stuffed nose, I was feeling completely miserable, said my goodbyes and left. The streets were pretty much entirely abandoned at 11pm, so as per exception to my daily walking scheme, I took a taxi-moto to go home. The boys had to be reassured by text I made it home safely and wished me goodnight.

New home
Originally I planned to go on a daytrip, but while the sky was roaring above our heads, I decided to take things easy, stick around and look for a new home. I got a reply from the Nyamirambo Women’s Centre. They are a small women’s organisation of 18 volunteers who offer organised trips regarding community based tourism. That means that they offer ‘real’ experiences to tourists, who want to discover more about Rwandan culture such as handicrafts, cooking, education, clothing, etc. Moreover, they even have two small rooms they rent out for as little as 2400RWF per day (3EUR) including breakfast. No hot shower either, but definitely possible to cook hot water. They also offered help, assistance and any kind of information I’d need regarding my project. Seems to me like a very interesting place and I will check it out on Thursday when I’m in town.

The rest of the day I spent inside my room as a heavy thunderstorm passed our village. I packed, I surfed and I listened and sang to my iPod. No neighbours around to complain since the sound of heavy rain exceeded my voice.

I just got back from town where I had such a big meal, it makes me feel sick. I was almost unable to walk home after a delicious brochette, buffet and lots and lots and lots of ‘ordinaly tea’. I will miss the happy faces and friendly handshakes of the staff in the ‘boogie restaurant’. But a new town awaits and I’m excited!

Wednesday 16th March – Gitarama 17 degrees

No comments:

Post a Comment