May 11, 2011

The Final Countdown

On Monday morning I surprised Brittany with a little birthday present and a small cake. Afterall, everyone likes a little bit of attention on his or her birthday, especially when you’re far from home. And in her case, after a somewhat disappointing but undoubtedly adventurous weekend, she deserved it more than anyone.

Last interview
I was supposed to meet up with a Belgian architect in Butare, who’s the head of a team constructing an Environtmental Museum in Kibuye. Hence the daytrip last week, to get an impression of the area and the construction site.

As with everything here in Africa, plans change all the time and you need to be quite flexible to adapt to these rapid changes. So did my guest’s plans and he called me, regretting he had to cancel our interview. It was one of those stories I was looking forward to, but by now I got used to be cancelled upon. Still, it was something very new and interesting to put in my magazine, so obviously I was very disappointed. Also, I wonder what’s left for me to write now. Luckily not everything’s lost, I’ll probably give him a ring in the next few days to get some of the much needed information. Fingers crossed!

Jangwe Lodge
So here I am now, in Shyogwe- Gitarama, at Jangwe Lodge. It was my very first visit when I just arrived here in Rwanda and it’ll be my last as well. Lydie’s husband is with their children in Belgium for a while, but she stayed to take care of guests at the lodge. So she invited me to spent my last two days with her. Very tempting, knowing they have a refreshing swimmingpool, a very remote and peaceful location and Lydie’s fantastic cooking skills. Their place feels like home and I hope one day to have a home like this, perhaps somewhere in Africa. Having no internet access or callcredit, these last two days will give me time to reflect and relax before the final goodbye.

Monday May 9th - Thursday May 12th, Gitarama 21 degrees

No comments:

Post a Comment